ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <>
Subject RE: [Q:] Writing a simple Ant task?
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 18:10:18 GMT
This 'param class that extends DataType' is not necessary. Any class will do
as a sub-element, provided it can be created using an add / addConfigured /
create method in the task class. And with Ant 1.5, a task doesn't even need
to extend Task, although that doesn't hurt (and is sometimes necessary if
one needs to access the Ant Project reference). Stefan will correct me if
I'm wrong ;-) --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Cuprak []
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 12:42 PM
To: Ant
Subject: Re: [Q:] Writing a simple Ant task?

 To accomplish this, you need to write a param class that extends DataType,
has a default constructor and setter/getter methods for the attributes. In
the mytask (extends Task), you add a method "addParam" which takes your
param class.
 Hopefully that answers your question!

-Ryan Cuprak

On 9/25/02 7:51 AM, "David M. Smith" <>

> Hi,
> I wanted to write a task along the following lines
> <mytask srcfile="" destfile="">
>       <param find="Key1" replaceWith="Value1"/>
>       <param find="Key2" replaceWith="Value2"/>
>       <param find="Keyn" replaceWith="Valuen"/>
> </mytask>
> In reading through the documentation trying to write this task I came
> across copy and filterset which seem to do exactly what I want.
> However, I would still like to understand how I would write this task.
> Looking at the Ant source code, it seems generic enough to be able to
> handle arbitary nested elements, but what methods must I put on my task
> class to support this? I am thinking createParam(), setParam() and
> getParam().
> Do I need to create a ant.types.Param class?
> Any advice that helps me write this task would be gratefully received.
> Regards,
> David

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>