ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: TaskContainer and setProperty
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 18:27:25 GMT
I don't disagree with you. I just think that given the state of the Ant code
base, what you want to do is difficult, and would require major refactorings
you would be likely enable to get past the committer. So my advise would be
to stick with Ant-contrib's <foreach> calling another target, and live with
the expense of the implicit <antcall>... --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Pontarelli [mailto:brian@pontarelli.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 12:11 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: TaskContainer and setProperty

<snip>

Can you explain what you're doing that would require this modified
<foreach>? --DD

</snip>

Well, I'm not really doing anything special except that flexibility is nice.
To be able to place the tasks inside the foreach rather than in a new target
keeps the build file cleaner.

The ant API seems to be lacking in these respects. Think how easy it would
be for the foreach tag to be written and how much faster it would be if you
could simply use project.executeTarget() rather than having to basically
re-execute ant with the same build file calling the specific target (which
is basically what the antcall does because it uses the ant task).

Also, there doesn't seem to be a robust way to managing properties scopes.
For example:

<someTask1>
  <someTask1.1>
    <someTask1.1.1/>
  </someTask1.1>

  <someTask1.2>
    <someTask1.2.1/>
  </someTask1.2>
</someTask>

If someTask1 sets a property, then someTask1.* should see it. However, if
someTask1.1 sets a property someTask1.2 should not see it, unless it is
marked parent visible or something. This is a fundamental programming
language concept and that's basically what ant is, a scripting language of
sorts.

Anyways, that seems to be something that ant2 should really consider because
it would make like much easier for developers.

Brian