ant-user mailing list archives

From "Vaughn, Julia" <Julia.Vau...@cingular.com>
Subject RE: Telnet and tar -xvf
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:02:02 GMT
Thanks for all your help! The work-around I have for now is to nohup the
extraction and sleep...

The only thing I can determine from all this is that it has something to do
with displaying the feedback of the extraction to the screen (it hangs when
it does that). I will investigate further for a more permanant solution, but
I have what I need for now.

BTW- I purchased the book last week :) . However, I don't want to implement
a deployment where Ant is installed on the remote machine. We need to mimick
production in our QA environments as closely as possible, and installing Ant
in the production environment is forbidden. The book is very helpful though!

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 2:23 PM
To: Ant Users List; Lyndon Samson
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Telnet and tar -xvf

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lyndon Samson" <samson@ozemail.com.au>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 10:54 PM
Subject: Re[2]: Telnet and tar -xvf

> Hello Julia,
>
> Have you tried putting all the commands in one shell script and just
> using the telnet task to execute that script?
>
> This might help in diagnosing the problem.
>
> cheers
> lyndon

or go one step further: put the commands in an ant script and run it
remotely using telnet.

if you d/l the sample code from java-dev-w-ant, we use this trick with a
fairly convoluted process, I think its webapp/newdeploy where the work
begins. I fear you'll need the book to understand its whole complexity
because we
-use a per-server properties file to list family of app server, ftp username
and password &C
-have a per-app-server deployment build file to run at the far end
-upload the app-server specific deployment build file to the server (ftp)
-run it (telnet).
there is some stuff on setting up unix and dos prompts for reliability; '>'
is too common  in output of apps to work.

-steve