ant-user mailing list archives

From Olivier SCHMITT <oschm...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Task missing method ? Write an ant project to disk ?
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:05:28 GMT
hi scott,

>>>Either you're really really good do not like any of the open-source
>>>IDE's enough to extend them to your tastes (NetBeans, Eclipse, jEdit) or
>>>you're insane!
>>
>>I'am not insane ! :o))) This ide is a demo to show my java skills. I'am
>>unemployed ... :o(((((
>
> From my own experience on both sides of the table, employers are most
>impressed by practical and actualized job skills.  (In english - show that
>you know how to do something they want, and show that you have done it
>already.)  After all, if you can already do at least one thing they want
>done, they get clear benefits by hiring you.
>
>An IDE is a big task, and one that is likely to while away many happy
>hours.  That said, with any luck, you will be employed before you finish
>it, and so it will not be a complete project to show during the interviews.
>
>You might be far, far better served by picking a project already in
>progress, and fixing bugs.  My choices would probably be something like
>ANT, Maven, or CruiseControl, as we use the one, and will likely use the
>other two at some point.  The key benefits are showing an interviewer that
>you are intimately familiar with the tool and how it helps them, and that
>you are able to work with a large existing code base.  Further, you do not
>lose the ability to bring in code samples.

As i've have already told some people of this list, my experience with
interviewers is quite different (maybe another french exception ), most of
them were from marketing and sales. They don't care about Ant and other
open source project ! They haven't heard about it !
But i will expose my research on ant and maybe i can get involved in a
project.
For now my ant parser based on Xerces is able to parse test cases files
provided with ant sources and to display a JTree representing
the ant file. As NetBeans does it but my parser handles ant 1.5 tags.