ant-user mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Adding a directory of jars to the classpath
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2002 02:38:30 GMT
At 12:21 PM 9/5/02 -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>But, how do you do a development build on your machine without affecting
>the team of, say, Struts 1.1b2 when the main project in your ${jars}
>directory is Struts 1.0?

The way I do it is branches in the version control system. The struts.jar
file on the trunk is at version 1.0, the struts.jar file on the beta team's
branch is at 1.1b2. If it is just a simple migration, moving the beta file
from individual developer machines to an integration environment to a QA
environment, you can even get away with just using tags.

>Then in my classpaths, I use very specific <pathelement
>location="${struts.jar}"/> for all my project JAR's and carefully craft
>classpaths to *only* the JAR's that are needed.  This can cause extra
>build file maintenance when a new JAR is needed, but in my opinion that
>makes sense to have to change the build to incorporate a new dependency.

Really, it comes down to where the decision is made as to the files that go
into a release/build/development environment. IMHO that is simplest if it
is the responsibility of the version control system. When I tag a file
RELEASE_1_5_1, I don't worry about whether the file is a java source file
or a JAR file, the act of tagging is sufficient to deliver it to that
environment without additional steps.

Just an alternative viewpoint. Your method works too.