ant-user mailing list archives

From "Robert r. Sanders" <robert.sand...@ipov.net>
Subject Re: How do people keep track of version information?
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:22:43 GMT
We're a very small in house shop.  We use CVS, and have had similar
concerns.  We looked at Maven, but it seemed to be a lot of overhead, in
addition every individual many need to work on any of several projects
in very short succession, and the structure just didn't seem right.  For
now we are using a custom Ant task that reads the information from a
project xml file and prompts the developer to select the tagged version
to build from, as well as setting a Filelist of Jar to download from out
internal Ftp server where we store them tagged with at version number in
the filename.  We can then upload the built Jar to the same Ftp server
for others to use.  We recently made our Ftp task (as re-write of Ants
current Ftp available http://oss.ipov.org/iftp-ant/  Our project task is
still pretty primative, but it represents one way to go.

Paul D. Schmidt wrote:

>Hello, I'm looking for some advice on how people use ant
>+ perforce to keep track of their labels, version info, etc.
>
>First of all, I'm a bit confused as to why the propertyfile
>task sets the properties BEFORE performing its operations
>and writing out the file.  This puts what gets used during
>the build and the proeprty file that gets labelled/tagged
>in differing states...
>
>We need to keep track of the build number in a proprety file
>which can be used by the build system to substitute it into
>certain files that our application uses.  This part seems
>to be fine.
>
>I'm wondering what other people (preferably who use perforce,
>but CVS, etc might carry over here as well) do to automatically
>formulate the label name, etc.  Hard coding a prefix and
>appending the buildnumber to it works in the simplest case,
>but as soon as you introduce branching (which in perforce
>isn't metadata like in CVS, it actually puts all the files
>in a different location (//depot/branches/branch_name in our
>case), so the view= attribute, etc needs to be correct for
>the p4 ant tasks...
>
>Having a hard-coded build.view property set to something
>like "build.view=branches_pds-dev4" might work, if there's
>an easy way to replace _ with / from within ant (I forget,
>I'll have to look through the manual again).  However,
>this would cause lots of pain for our developers, who are
>all on separate branches, having to merge the version.properties
>file (well, ignore that file every time they try to integrate
>actually, as their version.properties would have a different
>build.view in there as the mainline)
>
>Just wondering what other people do so I can get some ideas...
>
>Thanks,
>-Paul
>
>--
>[Paul D. Schmidt...........][..........pds@uberhacker.org]