ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Ant Conventions
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:30:37 GMT
Eric Lemings wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> For years now, the GNU Coding Standards
> (http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.html) have specified a standard release
> process, typical distribution files, and Makefile conventions including
> standard variable names and targets.  These conventions have over the years
> evolved into other tools that automate these conventions: autoconf,
> automake, libtool, rpm, etc.  Now, these conventions and tools have been
> adopted by virtually all open source software for *nix systems.
>
> So I was wondering.  As the leading Java build tool, does Ant specify any
> conventions for build.xml files?  A standard release process?  The layout of
> a typical Ant distribution?

IMHO, Ant does not specify these conventions any more than make does. These sort of conventions
are something you would layer on top of Ant. The Jakarta project has some loose conventions
regarding build files and some efforts have been made to standardise these but they have never
really gone far. At best today I would say we have a number of idioms about how build files
should look and these are to some extent unwritten.

The release process and the layour of distributions is also not widely standardised within
Jakarta projects much less on non-Apache projects using Ant.

Ant itself has a release process which is documented but it is probably quite different from
other Jakarta projects. The use of CVS branches, for example is probably not that common.

Conor

BTW, could you turn off the request for a read receipt?