ant-user mailing list archives

From "mth" <...@mth.com>
Subject some ant tasks are more equal than others
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:23:10 GMT
I have only been using ant for a couple of weeks. I was unsuccessful in
locating this information in the mailing list archives.
Some ant tasks (like <property ... >) can exist outside of a target. Most
cannot.
I was only able to locate one reference to this in the ant 1.5 manual:
  LoadProperties .... it cannot be specified outside a target.

Is there a definitive list of what *can* be used outside a target? (I
thought maybe there was a DTD, but it doesn't exist)
The ant 1.5 documentation has an "Overview of Ant Tasks" page with a
category called "Property Tasks". Why aren't all of these available
outside of a target?
After defining some properties, I would like to be able to <echo ... /> to
see the property values. However, echo is not supported in this context.
What is the rationale for echo not being available outside a target?
Based upon the (admittedly limited) testing I have done, I get good
results wrapping all of my property tasks inside an "init" target. And, in
this context, I can do a lot more stuff (like basename and echo). Why is
it not the case that the tasks outside a target are part of a
special-before-the-beginning-target which allows usage of all the
available tasks?
Thanks,
Michael