ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Need Help with <antcall> task
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 17:03:10 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Meakin" <geoffm@isocra.com>
To: <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 9:23 AM
Subject: Need Help with <antcall> task

> Hi all.
>
> I'm hoping somebody can please please help me with this:
> I'm calling <antcall> several times in a large project (build.xml is 700k
> big)

wow. 700k, wow.

> The first few times its okay, but then it runs out of memory.
>
> I've transferred everything important for this particular task down to a
> tiny
> buildfile, and am running that instead. This time it gets much further,
but
> after about the 10th <antcall> it runs out of memory again. I've
passed -Xmx
> and
> -Xms as ANT_OPTS to the ANT process giving it 256Meg to play with. It gets
> to about
> the 50th <antcall> and then runs out of memory.

1. do you have to use antcall so much? This may seem a silly question, but,
well, I dont use unless I really have to.

> I'm guessing that everytime antcall is run, a whole new set of environment
> properties
> are set up which dont get destroyed on returning from the antcall. Is that
> right?

I think everything should clean up on exit, but it is always good to make
sure in the ant/antcall source that any appropriate member variables are set
to null afterwards, just to make sure

one thing we do know leaks is javac - use jikes or set fork=true.

> I really need this fixed as urgently as possible, even if it means delving
> into the
> source of antcall and sorting it out myself which I'm happy to do, but I'd
> really
> appreciate a couple of pointers as to whats going on, because at the
moment
> I cant
> build my system :(

No real pointers, but Dominique Devienne has posted onto bugzilla the
<subant> task, which looks like a good foundation for <ant> done right...you
might want to try adding a 'fork' option to that, to run sub builds in a new
JVM, but we need to work out how to chain together processess properly for
that (so that properties and references go down, messages come back at the
same level).