ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <>
Subject Re: "Unclosed comment" error with jdk1.4.1 while compiling
Date Thu, 05 Sep 2002 16:35:42 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Zabel" <>
To: <>
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 9:01 AM
Subject: "Unclosed comment" error with jdk1.4.1 while compiling

> When I compile our code with the javac task in Ant 1.5 or 1.5.1beta, while
> running with jdk1.4.1 RC, I get compile errors saying that we have
> comments at the end of our classes.
> Our classes end like this:
> class OurClass
> {
> } // end OurClass
> // end
> This is just a legacy coding convention that is in about 300 classes. When
> compiling these classes with jdk1.4.1 RC from the command line, they all
> compile fine. It's only a problem when compiling through ant, while
> on jdk1.4.1 RC. If we run ant with jdk1.4.0, it works fine too.

Are you calling the javac compiler with exactly the same options on the
command line as in ant? What does verbose say? Are you sure you are building
with javac and not jikes in ant?

Ant just hands off to the compiler classes in javac.jar, so there should be
no difference between command line and in-ant builds.

regarding the error, I recall jikes complaining about something like this a
while back. You need to end on a blank line, not a comment. Its an easy fix,
good practice, and not really an ant issue per-se, just java language spec

If you dont want to edit 300 files, either have jalopy ( clean up
your code, or use an IDE lke IDEA to do it.

> Are there compatibility problems with jdk1.4.1 RC and ant 1.5+?

not that anyone knows of

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message