ant-user mailing list archives

From George McKinney <gh...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: Starting server
Date Sat, 07 Sep 2002 22:15:41 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "amol desai" <amolsdesai@yahoo.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 9:52 AM
Subject: Starting server

> Hi,
>
>    I am using exec to run the pointbase server as
> follows
>
> <exec executable="cmd" >
>   <arg line="/c ${db.root}/server/StartServer.bat"/>
> </exec>
>
> After the execution of above statements, pointbase
> server starts .(server started message is dispalyed).
>
> The build does not continue. I want the build to be
> continued after starting the server.

My guess is that StartServer.bat never returns. Does the batch file include
something like:

start Server.exe

(notice that "start" is the command and Server.exe is the program to run)
I think that that is the Windows "run the following program in the
background" syntax - I may be wrong, but that's the idea. If it doesn't
include that, the batch file will wait for the exe to return - which ISN'T
what you want.

George McKinney
ghmck@shaw.ca

An experienced developer knows that it is seldom wise to
prefix a demonstration with anything more predictive than
"Watch this" - unless there is a good test suite in place.