ant-user mailing list archives

From "QUAN,SUU (Non-A-PaloAlto,ex1)" <suu_q...@non.agilent.com>
Subject RE: Help with designing Tibco Interface builds
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:02:06 GMT

	To releive the pressure, I've decided to do a manual build, learn from it, document it, then
take the time to design the thing.

> > To top that, I'm the only knowledgeable Ant person in the
> team. Tough job when it's done and I try to explain it to them.

	Did I mention that I am just a beginner? And after making that crazy decision (choosing Ant
in this environment), I got to make it a success or I'll blemish my name forever.

> > This Tibco project has 25 independent interfaces (or components used
> interchangeably here), plus 1 common/shared component. I
> should be able to
> say: build interface1 intf5 and intf15 for example
> >
> > The directory structure is like this
> >
> > root/
> >     /shared
> >     /interface1
> >     /interface25

> > Question 1: How would I design my build.xml? I do not see how I can
> parametrize a task like a function call and pass it the top
> directory of the
> interface and maybe lateron other properties (I'm still very
> much scripting
> in my mind). Or do I copy the same build.xml to each
> interface and call it
> from the top level interface?
>

> I'd consider a separate build file for each interface
> (assuming it has code
> underneath). If the steps to build each file are essential
> the same, then
> you could avoid that by having a parameter driven target in
> your single
> build file that does the work.
>
> For separate files, use <ant>, for a parameterised single file, use
> <antcall> to call targets; in either case they are like
> subroutines where
> defined properties dont trickle back up.

	So far, I've been told the 25 interfaces use exactly the same IDENTICAL build logic.
some C++, some Java compile, some Oracle (no processing, only execution on the target machine),
some (xml) file whose contents are to be translated (word substitution).
Would you give me a simple example (at a high level) on how to call the subroutine using different
parameters, using <ant> or <antcall>.
Which of the 2 would you recommend: execution speed wise, easy-to-maintain wise.

> > The build has some C++ and Java build part: that part, I
> feel a little
> more confident. It's what comes below that bothers me.
> >
> > Each directory has a MATRIX of where to deliver the files.
> > For example:
> > development:.../config/aaaa should go to machine1:/xxx/aaaa
> > development:.../custom/bbbb should go to machine1:/yyy/bbbb and
> machine3:/zzz/bbbb
> > and lots of that kind of combination.
> >
> > How would you handle that? I'm tempted to do it in Perl,
> since I'm already familiar with it.
>
> well, you can call ant from perl.

	OK I'll do it then. I have saved some sample perl calls from this Ant User List.

> to configure ant I'd use a property file in each directory
> (or even an xmlf
> ile with <xmlproperty>), and have ant load it in to get customisation
> details

and thanks for taking the time to answer.

Suu