ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Working around jikes bug in large projects
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:09:30 GMT
Just increase the memory for <javac>, or better yet, compartiment your
software into independent modules that can be compiled in the right order
independently. Will makes you software better for it, and it's always a very
good idea to have clean separation (and clear dependencies) lines between
your different modules (I can't imagine a single module of 3000 files!).

We used to compile ~5500 files in one pass (needs gobs of memory!), now it's
two independent ones of ~2500 and ~3000 files, and we're breaking that down
further to 6/8 different projects. --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: ehowe@employease.com [mailto:ehowe@employease.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 12:59 PM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Working around jikes bug in large projects

Has anyone run into jikes bug #222 (compiling large # of classes leads to
ClassFormatErrors) when using ant/jikes for large projects?  (For
information on the bug, see
http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=222&group_
id=10)

I'm in the process of changing from makefiles to ant for our build, which
consists of over 3000 java files.  Our makefiles call jikes for each java
file, so we have never run into this before.  We also have a makefile in
each package.

With ant, I currently have a single build.xml at the top level of the
project tree, which basically ends up feeding all 3000 files to jikes at
once, exposing this ugly jikes bug.  I've tried switching to javac, but I
run out of memory trying to compile it.  In any case, I'd rather stick with
jikes if at all possible.

Has anybody else run into this?  How did you work around it?  I suppose I
could put a build.xml in each package, but that still wouldn't guarantee I
wouldn't run into this bug again.  Besides, isn't that counter to ant
philosophy?

Thanks,
Ed