ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: moving slowly
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:02:22 GMT
Thanks. That explains things a bit, and makes sense. I guess one could just
make some kind of special mention to this particular use case either in the
FAQ or the doc for <rename>/<move> then, eventually. Thanks again, --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 9:47 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: moving slowly

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> Can I ask why the <rename> task was deprecated?

This happened during the "great file task unification period" between
1.1 and 1.2.  At the same time when <deltree>, <copydir> and
new abilities and I don't think anybody really noticed that <move>
became a lot slower than <rename> because nobody tried to move larger
directory trees.

> Involving <move> & filesets to rename one directory or file seems
> overkill to me.

<rename> only works for a single use-case: I want to move a whole
directory tree to a new name, there doesn't exist a directory of that
name already and the directory lives on the same file system as the
one I want to move (cross filesystem moves on Unix or moving between
drives on Windows is impossible with File#renameTo).

<move> is so much more flexible - and if you set the filesets up the
"correct" way it isn't that much slower.

Stefan