ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: moving slowly
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2002 15:55:09 GMT
Stefan recently answered that one... In case <move> detects it must move all
the files, it does a simple rename of the directory, as the deprecated
<rename> did, and is thus almost as fast as the old <rename> (still needs to
scan everything I think!?!?).

If your <move> is slow, it's because <move> detected some files shouldn't be
moved, and thus cannot simply rename the directory (although I guess it
could, and delete the ones that shouldn't be moved...).

The culprit is probably the default exclude list of filesets. Simply specify
the attribute to not use that list, and drop your <include> tag, and it
should be faster. --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Meakin [mailto:geoffm@isocra.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 10:49 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: moving slowly

Hi,

Im trying to move a directory to another directory.. the way
I've been recommended doing it (looking through this archive) is

<move todir="newdirname">
  <fileset dir="oldname">
    <include name="**/*.*"/>
  </fileset>
</move>

However my directory contains thousands and thousands of files,
and this is taking ages. When you use the move command in DOS
on a directory its instantaneous. Is there a better way to
do this in ANT that wont take this long?

Thanks
Geoff