ant-user mailing list archives

From "McHenry, Matt" <mmche...@carnegielearning.com>
Subject RE: Automated source config model?
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:26:46 GMT
> I'm curious as to how others have faced this challenge using
> Ant and CVS in a production build environment. One thought I
> had was to investigate using the Ant-Contrib <foreach> task
> to iterate over a 'src.properties' file that would contain
> the ingredients, so to speak, that are passed to a fetch
> target (e.g a <cvs> task that would read in the
> 'src.properties' file and grab the correct revisions of every
> file needed to build the product for a specific developers'
> build case).

	I have a setup that does basically what you're talking about
(although we just use it for automated builds -- our stuff isn't complex
enough that developers have a need for this kind of automation).  IMO,
you're on exactly the right track with the foreach task.  Each cvs tag has
an associated list of directories (or individual files).  The property file
contains a list of these (tag,directory-list) pairs.  It's then very
straightforward to iterate over each of the directories associated with each
of the tags and do the appropriate cvs checkout command.

	I hadn't thought that my setup was all that interesting (and it
certainly isn't all that complex), but if folks are interested I can inquire
about getting permission to make it available.

Matt McHenry
Software Developer
Carnegie Learning, Inc.