ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: checking for required attributes
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:23:38 GMT
Shackelford, John-Mason wrote:

> If I want to make sure that the build file doesn't actually execute if
> required elements / attributes are not supplied is it an appropriate use of
> Task.init() and Task.addConfiguredXXX to ensure that required fields are
> populated?

I'd have to do a bit of trial-and-error on this issue myself, but you
can throw a BuildException from the adders/setters/creators.  Many of
Ant's tasks have such complex rules for validation that its impossible
to check them until execute(), thats why you don't see any/many that do
it differently.

> I could not find any tasks that use this approach, which suggests that I am
> wrong about this, but if we wait until after the parse phase is over to
> check for missing attributes couldn't we be running a script that makes a
> big mess because it fails mid execution due to an oversight.

A big mess where?  In your temporary 'build' directory?  Thats what 'ant
clean' is for!  :))

> Of course that is because I use a DTD. :p Which reminds me... will I find
> good source that will tell me how to make my custom tasks contribute
> accurate info to the auto generated DTD?

And how do you propose to make a DTD when you use DynamicConfigurator?
(if you are, that is) - I only made the whole DTD thing a lot tougher by
adding the DynamicConfigurator, unfortunately.

Personally, I don't use a DTD for build.xml - its too dynamic with
<taskdef>'s and all.

	Erik