ant-user mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestions for building modular projects?
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:57:56 GMT

Chris Bailey wrote:
> I'm wondering what people suggest for this kind of build situation...  I
> have a core application that we build with Ant now.  We are then creating a
> lot of "modules", or plug-ins for the application.  Each of these modules
> are very similar, i.e. their builds are essentially the same exact process,
> but some of the source files are different, and the name of the resulting
> output file (jar or exe) is different, etc.
>
> I've wondered about these types of things:
> - brute force: just make a build.xml for each one
> - near brute force: one build.xml that has a target for each, or close to
> that
> - Dynamically generate a build.xml for each one somehow (XSLT task?)
> - Single module_build.xml, where build.xml iterates each directory, sets
> some properties, and then calls module_build.xml (passing the properties)
>
> What have people used, what do they like/dislike, what's the easiest, what's
> the most slick?

You can use the <import> tag in proposal/embed in Ant CVS.

Just make a common build file and make each child buildfile <import> the
parent one and redefine where appropriate.

Or have the buildfile create a part with XSLT and right after <import>
the result (using top-level tasks).

             - verba volant, scripta manent -