ant-user mailing list archives

From "Wannheden, Knut" <knut.wannhe...@paranor.ch>
Subject RE: Multiple build files problem, property passing
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:29:06 GMT
I can't think of anything besides maybe saving the properties to a file and
reading them back in again.  But maybe there is a better/simpler solution to
your problem.  Maybe you could explain what you're really trying to achieve
;-)

As for the "base" buildfile problem.  This topic has been discussed quite a
lot on the mailing list.  Some other tools based on Ant, like Maven or
Centipede, seem to support something like this.  I have developed a kind of
templating mechanism for my own purposes, which lets me write templates
which are "instantiated" by merging them with customizations, which
basically just "override" and add stuff to the template.  I also implemented
my own AVTs (attribute value templates, which you might know from XSLT)
letting me write XPath expressions like /project/@name or //target[@name =
'compile']/javac.  The final buildfile generated is reduced to using
standard Ant mechanisms and tasks.

So depending on what you need you could always roll your own templating
mechanism (using XSLT or whatever), use XML entity include
(http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/faq.html#xml-entity-include), use external
tools like Anthill, Maven, or Centipede, etc.

--
knut