ant-user mailing list archives

From "Shackelford, John-Mason" <Sha...@ncs.com>
Subject checking for required attributes
Date Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:51:10 GMT

If I want to make sure that the build file doesn't actually execute if
required elements / attributes are not supplied is it an appropriate use of
Task.init() and Task.addConfiguredXXX to ensure that required fields are
populated?

I could not find any tasks that use this approach, which suggests that I am
wrong about this, but if we wait until after the parse phase is over to
check for missing attributes couldn't we be running a script that makes a
big mess because it fails mid execution due to an oversight. At best, it
wastes the user's time while a build that is bound to fail wends it way to
the fatal mistake.

Then again, perhaps I am being anal about this. I never have been terribly
put out by this behavior before.

Of course that is because I use a DTD. :p Which reminds me... will I find
good source that will tell me how to make my custom tasks contribute
accurate info to the auto generated DTD?

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
NCS Pearson - Measurement Services
2510 North Dodge St.