ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: nested properties anyone?
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:51:21 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Benson" <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: nested properties anyone?

> I disagree with the statement that you would not use a
> similar approach in Java.  We have things called maps
> which would give us the ability to tie one String (or
> any Object) to another, to another, to another, and so
> on.

but then we should have have a proper syntax for expanding maps, like
    servertype[${servername}]
instead of random string expansion.

> Plus something in me rebels against the idea of
> maintaing files other than Ant build files to complete
> a build.

aah, get used to property files. They provide a lot of per-user
customisation without having to put stuff into the build file. Example:
where is the best place for build.compiler, httpHost, httpPort settings? It
cant be the build file as you tie the build to a particular compiler and
firewall. Property files are your friend here.