ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Why ** instead of //
Date Tue, 13 Aug 2002 04:59:56 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dominique Devienne" <DDevienne@lgc.com>
To: "'Ant Users List'" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 14:22
Subject: RE: Why ** instead of //

> Indeed, I noticed this as well when I discovered this XPATH notation, much
> later after I learned about the Ant equivalent. I suspect Ant's notation
was
> around before XPATH (or at least before it became more widely known),

I think xpath predates ant; msxml3 has xpath stuff in and that shipped in
'99.

here is a reason. xpath navigates round XML; ant round a file system. \\ or
// can actually mean something in a file sys, usually (since Apollo first
introduced the notion) a new machine. so //ranier/*.java means something
very different from **/ranier/*.java