ant-user mailing list archives

From "Gene De Lisa" <>
Subject RE: DTDs, local and remote
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 17:13:10 GMT are the 1.2 versions and are the J2EE 1.3 versions. I guess that's the
"logical" reason for the change. Since there is no "version" in the URI then
I suppose when 1.4 is out things will change again? Or maybe they will
overwrite them....

What precisely are you going to gain by changing them to local versions? Are
you trying to use <xmlvalidate> and it breaks? One answer is to use a
catalog if that is the case.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kyle Adams []
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 10:09 AM
Subject: DTDs, local and remote

I'm not sure the ant-user list is the best place for this question - if
knows of a better list, feel free to speak up.  Anyhow, there has been
grumbling from our developers about the DTDs for our deployment
descriptors.  Specifically, when Sun moved to , we got some inquiries along
lines of, "Why don't we just change all of our DTDs to point to a local
on our intranet?"

I'm a bit leery about changing something as basic as the DOCTYPE of a
deployment descriptor to something non-standard, but it would be nice
not be subject to the whims of Sun.

We already have DTDs (stored in CVS) on our developers machines for
the <ejbjar> task and its nested <DTD> element.  It would be a simple
enough matter to just permanently change the DTDs to be relative
to these local DTDs.

So what are your thoughts?  Is this a train wreck waiting to happen, or
another way to make our developers lives easier?

Kyle Adams
Java Developer and Senior Ant Herder
Gordon Food Service

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>