ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Property element of ant task needs an "if"
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:02:38 GMT
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

> My question was whether this would make it to Ant did I ever
> implement it?

Sorry for some larger delays, I'm currently spending more cycles on
non-Ant stuff than I'd like to do.

I cannot say for sure as I'm only one voice of ant-dev.  I think the
propertyset idea has some great value in the context of <ant*> (so
here the answer is yes), I'm not so sure about <java> and friends, but
it is up to you to convice me.

> I'd appreciate comments on the embedded questions regarding
> <property file="" /> or/and <propertyfile>

Oh, this poor little overloaded <property> thingy.  How about
loadproperties?  That would allow you to plug a filterreader into it
that only matched a certain set of properties.

> and whether the inside def or outside ref were equivalently good, or
> one was better than the other.

In general defining a property once should be enough IMHO, so if you
want the property to be part of two different sets, an ref mechanism
is needed.  inside defs - on the other hand - are a lot easier to read
and understand.

Stefan