ant-user mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Ant 2 et al...
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 00:01:06 GMT
Thomas Zander writes:
> > dIon writes:
> >
> > I've spent some time this weekend reading up on the various proposals
for
> > Ant 2, and my first reaction is:
> >
> > 'Is Ant dead?'

> You write a nice email but you forgot the most interresting things,
right
> now it only spreads Doubt, Uncertainty and also Fear.
I suppose that sums up my feelings about Ant 2 very neatly:
- Doubt as to whether it will come to fruition
- Uncertainty about whether the Ant community wants it
- Fear that we will be stuck with the 1.x limitations forever.

> This email would be a whole lot more usefull if it specified;
> - What is wrong with the current approuch.
> - What your proposals in the technical aspect
> - How you propose not to alianate the current userbase
> - What you have done and will do to get there.
I think this has all been done before - that's my point. We already have
proposals for Ant 2, which I feel are worth moving forward on. So to
answer your points:
- we are not voting on Ant 2.
- Adopt one of the two up to date proposals - Mutant or Myrmidon.
- Backward compatibility in the existing proposals (Mutant is ahead on
that)
- I've been 'involved' in at least one of the alternative projects I
mentioned before, e.g. Maven and Jelly. I've submitted code to Ant 1.x,
and I'm trying to get an Ant 2 discussion going :)

> I'd hate to see your obvious dissapointment go wasted, but your email
won't
> change much! Showing work and making sure its done by starting doing it
will!
Unfortunately, no it wont. I'm not in a position to call for a vote, or to
stop changes to the 1.x stream.....

And believe it or not, sending that email is 'showing work'. How would you
like me to 'start doing' the move to Ant 2? Put more effort behind one of
the ignored proposals?

Bring on Ant 2...........
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting