ant-user mailing list archives

From bdu...@metasolv.com
Subject User contribution - Ant tasks for JMX
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 22:00:52 GMT
Hello;

I've written a set of Ant tasks that allow JMX MBeans to be accessed from an
Ant build script.

Here's a summary of the tasks and their functions:

- configureMBean : get/set MBean properties
- invokeMBean : invoke an MBean operation
- copyMBean : copies all the properties of an MBean to a new MBean of the
same type
- removeMBean : unregisters an MBean from the MBeanServer
- createMBean : creates a new MBean
- showMBean : writes information about the MBean to the Ant log

The current implementation supports BEA WLS 6.x/7.x. Support for JBoss
platform, JSR77 standard, and other JMX implementations is underway.

I am intending to submit these tasks to the Open Source community. But,
before I do so, I'm interested in soliciting some feedback/information.

1. Does anyone know of a similar set of tasks that let Ant integrate with
JMX? I wrote these tasks because (surprisingly) I couldn't find anything
that would let me integrate with JMX from Ant (believe me, I searched).

2. Is there a general interest in this kind of capability? My motivation was
to provide tools for J2EE resource creation and management from Ant that I
use to build/deploy application. (e.g. create my JDBC pool before I deploy
my entity beans...), but the tasks are general enough for much broader use.

3. As far as Open Source goes, should I start a seperate Open Source project
or submit directly to the Apache Ant group? (who do I contact for this).

All advice/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brian.