ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ori Burstein" <oburs...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Inheritance question
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:40:10 GMT
Thanks Markus,
I did most of those recommendation,
I'm having many build.xml files in my src tree,
and currently my build runs then one by one, this way I create build (this
is the simplistic description of the build)
but one thing is still not clear to me:
I would like to simplify the build.xml files and to remove from them all the
common targets, pathes,properties, so they will inherit them from one
master.xml, and not creating a master.xml which executes them all.
Is it possible? or I just didn't understand this part? Are there more
"import" possibility for importing those components (like importing
properties using the property task)?
Thanks,
Ori.

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Niedermann [mailto:markus.niedermann@cerberus.ch]
Sent: Thu, July 18, 2002 4:09 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Inheritance question

Hi Ori

My tips:
1. Define a common project structure like

   workspace
    +-- module1
    |    +-- build            (class files)
    |    +-- src              (source files)
    |         +-- com ...
    +-- module2
    (like CVS ;-)

2. Design your build system based on this structure
3. Do not define relative path properties (always use ${basedir}/xy/...)
4. Create for each module a build.xml (like the user interface)
5. Call from the module build.xml the master.xml with the common
functionality (<ant>...)
6. Inherit your properties => the master.xml works with module data...
7. The master.xml is located in a well known module (configured in the
build.xml)
8. You can define core functionality in the master.xml,
   and overwrite special behaviour in the build.xml (that's cool and a
must...)
9. You can force master.properties by <property file="... at the top of
   the build.xml

- The build.xml acts like an facade to the master.xml
- You can use the build.xml as usual
- It works fine!

Markus