ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Out of memory issues when compiling
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:15:17 GMT
Seems like you covered most bases...

I'd try with:

<javac fork="yes"
       memoryInitialSize="512m"
       memoryMaximumSize="1024m">
</javac>

since you have 1GB RAM. We compile with mostly 2 <javac>, one with 1400
classes and the other with 1800 classes with the settings above, and we used
to compile it in one pass only. We're now trying to move away from such a
monolithic architecture, and have refactored quite a bit to better define
more independent layers that can be compiled independently (in the right
order). Using precompiled layers that the currently compiled layer depends
on makes compilation lighter on the memory side, and development easier
overall (separating the layers into there own sub-project).

The challenge is to go from a monolithic to a layered architecture... --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Mangual [mailto:ed.mangual@s1.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 3:46 PM
To: 'ant-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Out of memory issues when compiling

I am compiling a fairly large project containing anywhere from 1500 to 2500
source files and I am constantly getting the compiler has ran out memory
error. I have tried using the "set ANT_OPTS=-Xmx512m" in the ant batch file,
forking the javac processes and even setting the memoryInitialSize and
memoryMaximumSize, but nothing seems to work. I am compiling on a dual 1gig
xeon on win2k, Ant-1.4.1, sun jdk 1.2.2_12 and with 1GB of memory. I run
into the same problem using Ant 1.5. I have watched the java process used by
Ant and it seems to grow with each task it executes with out releasing the
memory, it looks to me that when I forked the process it helped some but I
still see the errors. Any ideas? Do we have some type of memory leak?

Ed Mangual