ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: problem with environment variable
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:40:00 GMT
I'm probably wrong, but it sounded to me that the original poster wanted to
modify the environment of the shell/cmd running Ant, which cannot be done
AFAIK. Modifying the registry will take effect on cmd.exe run after the
change, not the one currently running Ant. And the proposed solution affects
the environment of the command run only, and doesn't persist across <exec>
invocations. --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Hildebrand (web) [mailto:Hal.Hildebrand@hellblazer.com]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 12:22 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: problem with environment variable

We haven't found a way to do this from the command line, but you can do this
with specialized code.

See JRegistryKey:  http://www.beq.ca/tech/Products/jreg_key.shtml

It's easy to use the above to create a custom Ant task which will
permanently
manipulate the windows registry, such as path and environment variables.
However, the Ant process executing the task, and any spawned executables
don't
inherit the environment.  <sigh>  There apparently is some Win32 call which
will
force an update of the environment variables, but I haven't followed the
bread
crumbs to find out if there is such a thing.

Another option is to use nested <env> elements:

<exec dir="${basedir}" executable="cmd.exe">
    <arg line="/c set"/>
    <env key="test" value="tst" />
</exec>

It's not elegant, but it works.