ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject JBoss's BuildMagic (was RE: refactoring a large project)
Date Sat, 20 Jul 2002 22:50:16 GMT
I've looked a bit at JBoss's BuildMagic, and found it quite confusing... I'm
fairly Ant savvy, and reading the build.xml file didn't help me that much.
Too many weird custom tasks used, It all seems fairly arcane and complex.

The one great thing I found in this build system was the resource: custom
protocol handler which greatly enhances the usefulness of entity includes,
almost (if not entirely) superseding the proposed addition of the <include>
element on ant-dev (but not of <import> though).

That said, I must confess I was a little rebucked by the strangness (to me)
of the BuildMagic early, and didn't dig that deep. I'd be glad to hear about
where it shines and how you would go about using it, from someone who
invested more study into it than me, and especially found it worthy use.
Documentation would be good too ;-)

Thanks, --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: David Jencks [mailto:davidjencks@directvinternet.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 20, 2002 5:38 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: refactoring a large project

Don't know if it would help you, but I am a fan of the jboss buildmagic
system.  It is oriented towards a large project being organized into
modules that can be compiled separately.  There is a master build script
that runs the build scripts for sets of modules and has per-module targets
that pull the results from the modules into an "assembly area".  You can
define module sets in the master build file or on the command line.

There's documentation somewhere on the jboss site for it, but I find it
easier to look at the build.xml files.  build/build.xml is the master file,
the others are all module build scripts.  I just spent a significant amount
of time helping to refactor a rather impenetrable build process into this
system and was very pleased with the results.

david jencks