ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Property element of ant task needs an "if"
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:44:22 GMT
1) It's because I forgot to remove the value="" from the <propertyref>
sub-element, otherwise it would have been obvious. It adds the given (named)
property to the property set. The property is defined elsewhere. The
question would actually be whether it should require the property referenced
to already exists or not (I think it should).

  <propertyset id="ps2">
    <propertyset refid="ps1" />
    <propertyref name="p3" />
    <!-- or do you prefer one the forms below:
    <propertyref refname="p3" />
    <property refname="p3" />
      -->
  </propertyset>

In essence, it should be <property refid="propname"/> to be more
Ant-consistent, but that would force defining an 'id' for each property,
when the property name already acts as an ID, and that would also _overload_
<property> once more, which I've read on this list is not a good idea.

2) This 'propertysetrefs' attribute would be there to indicate that all the
properties loaded from a properties file (using <property file=""/>) should
be added to the given list of property sets (thru their IDs). Since
<propertyset>s could be composed (using <propertyset refid=""/>), this
attribute could be 'propertysetref' instead (taking a single ID), which
would avoid parsing the IDs, allowing any name as an ID (no special
separating character).

My question for you Diane, Ant Guru in Chief, would be to know whether you
would find <propertyset> valuable? I'm not sure Stefan's "Why don't you
[SUBMIT] it" was an implicit yes to the same question. Since Ant Core tasks
such as <java> would need to be modified, as well as <junit> and possibly
others, no need for me to waste cycles doing this to get -1'd later when I
do [SUBMIT] patches for this. Thanks, --DD