ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Francis" <scott.fran...@newisys.com>
Subject RE: Is ANT right tool?
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:35:19 GMT
It really depends on how much task programming you want to do with ANT.  The great thing about
ANT is that you can really make it do whatever you want it to do....you just have to be willing
to spend the time and write the tasks to make it do so.

Your system is relatively complex and specific however. I would break it up into various pieces
and use the correct tools for each part instead of trying to jam everything into ANT.  I would
definitely use ANT to build the java code.  You can have ANT make exec calls to other scripts
(such as Perl or shell) in order to configure the weblogic and database servers.  The ANT
Junit task can be used to help automate regression/unit testing.

I'd just use the mentality of trying to use the proper tools to solve the appropriate problem
instead of trying to get a big hammer and force one tool to do it all.  Break the problem
up into the various pieces and determine which method makes sense to solve it.  Using ANT
as the wrapper/caller of all these scripts is a nice way to keep one callable top layer.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott Francis

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Klein [mailto:erikklein@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 7:40 AM
To: ant-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Is ANT right tool?

I am seeking two things from this post if you would please oblige.

1. Is there a way within ANT to determine that a target/step has failed and, if so, to
conditionally proceed to other target(s)/step(s) without ANT bailing out (i.e. "Clean Up")?

2. I am tasked with creating a system that not only automates the build of a Java project,
but
also automatically configures a WebLogic Server, deploys the built Java project to it, and
runs a
regression test on it.  Additionally, this project will need to access a version control system
(Harvest) to automatically check out the source code prior to the build and check in the results
of the regression test following its completion.  Lastly, it will also have to automatically
configure a Sybase database with "Golden/Test" data prior to running the tests and restore
it to
its previous image following the test.

I'm starting to get the idea that #2 is beyond the scope of ANT but would appreciate feedback
on
both issues and, if possible, recommendations for other scripting / programming environments
better suited to my needs.

Much appreciated.

Erik

=====