ant-user mailing list archives

From "David Colton (ext. 799)" <David.Col...@fineos.com>
Subject RE: proposed: ant build contest
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 15:18:35 GMT
There are good points made here. The Ant documentation is very very good. It
is, however, lacking in challenging example buildfiles for the new Ant
developer. Even the buildfiles in Java Tools for eXtreme Prog. are not very
taxing of the old gray matter !!!

How about gathering together in one place all the buildfiles used by open
source projects and inviting the authors to share their "Ant" experiences !
That way you also have the whole source project as well and you're not just
looking at a standalone file.

The obvious starting place is for the Ant developers to write an article
about the decision made that led to the current format of the Ant buildfile.
I personally have learned a lot from referencing this file. I know there are
a few others knocking around in the Apache org. I have even learned a little
from some commercial buildfiles.

There could be another Ant book in the making here ! You heard it here
first.

Dave.

	[DC] The problem with reference style builds is that they
	[DC] are what they are - usually contrived examples and
	[DC] not real world examples.