ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rich Steele" <rste...@etracksolutions.com>
Subject RE: Question about ant performance
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:08:56 GMT
Anything network mounted?  Especially all those jar files?

Rich

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Tara Hernandez
	Sent: Tue 7/23/2002 3:10 AM
	To: Ant Users List
	Subject: Re: Question about ant performance

	I figured I was doing something wrong.

	:)

	I'm passing in a toplevel source dir, under which the classes
are finally divided up
	into about 6 subdirs.  My compile target looks a lot like it's
from the default ant
	example, funnily enough:

	<target name="compile" depends="init"
	        description="compiling java source" >
	 <javac srcdir="${src}" destdir="${build}">
	 <classpath refid="classpath"/>
	 </javac>
	</target>

	Don't know if this matters, but my classpath is constructed to
be fairly large,
	somewhere around 76 thirdparty libraries.  I know I can probably
weed this down
	some, but will probably still end up with > 50.  This is the
only thing I can think
	of so far that might be causing problems.

	"Hal Hildebrand (web)" wrote:

	> Are you compiling individual files, or all the directories at
a time?  We have
	> 800+ classes spread over 5 source directories, and including
jarring and
	> signing, our build takes under 2 minutes.  This is with 1.4,
which seems to be
	> significantly faster than 1.3, but not an order of magnitude.
The box is a
	> 1.6 Ghz P4 under Win2K.
	>
	> So something you're doing is very wrong...  Do you have an
example of the
	> pattern you're following to compile?

pegged for most of
compilation, because it
minutes.

	> > > Sounds like it's spending a long, long time in the
directory scanning.

	> > > Diane
	> > >
	> > > =====
	> > > (holtdl@yahoo.com)

	> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
	> >
	> > --
	> > "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
I said I didn't