ant-user mailing list archives

From John Caron <ca...@unidata.ucar.edu>
Subject Re: about books available on ant
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:54:15 GMT
The oreilly book is better than nothing, but i am disapointed in it. the people
who wrote it are quite knowledgeable but i think they never vetted it against
real users. they dont fully document all the possible command contents, and
their index is very sparse, which is fatal as a reference book.

for example, i want to set an argument for the JVM in the <java> command. the
only reference on page 152 is to see the "argument data type" in Chapter 4. Why
in the world dont they just document the <jvmarg> element? "jvmarg" does not
apear in the index, so i get to thumb through chapter 4, which i read once
through 2 months ago. well, it doesnt mention <jvmarg> but i assume its the same
as <arg>, except its for the JVM. when i use it, i get the message from ant:

      [java] JVM args ignored when same JVM is used.

what so you suppose that means? the oreilly book doesnt say, so im kind of dead
in the water.

i realize these are just minor problems of learning ant, but thats why i buy
these kinds of books, even a few hours saved is worth $50.

I just found out about the manning book, which i am going to have a look at.