ant-user mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject [Announce] Character Encoding Converter Task
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2002 05:52:51 GMT
I have just posted an Ant task to help automate the
conversion of files from one encoding to another. I
looked around for similar tasks and found: a) the
same thing could be done with the native2ascii task
but you'd have to do run it twice -- once to convert
to \uXXXX format and again (in reverse) to convert to
the desired output encoding; and b) there didn't seem
to be another task that did encoding conversions
easily.

<aside>
In the work for Ant2, I'd remove the native2ascii
task and replace it with a general purpose encoding
converter that also has the ability to convert to
the \uXXXX format produced by native2ascii.
</aside>

The CyberNeko Encoding Converter (nekoconv for short)
comes with a simple command-line tool, a simple Swing
GUI frontend, and an Ant task. Instead of writing all
of the code to handle wildcards and such, I just
pushed that functionality off to Ant which excels at
that kind of thing. :)

I originally wrote it to help a friend convert a
bunch of resource files in multiple languages into a
single character encoding. But then I figured that
it may be useful to other people as well.

Anyway, NekoConv is released under an Apache-style
license and is available for download at:

   http://www.apache.org/~andyc/neko/i18n/doc/index.html

Enjoy!

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org