ant-user mailing list archives

From Tara Hernandez <t...@bluemartini.com>
Subject Question about ant performance
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2002 02:36:01 GMT
I'm starting to implement an ant-based build system and have some
questions about performance.  Using gmake with a fairly exciting (read:
buttuglynastyhorrible) target to handle automatic java compilation, it
takes me about 3 minutes 40 seconds to do a full compilation of ~850
class files from scratch.  Note that I don't do any sort of smart
dependency generation so this is just straight compilation.  I am using
JDK 1.3.1 on NT 4.0sp6

With my first stab at a build.xml with Ant 1.5, the same tree takes
something close to 25 minutes, with both cpus just pegged for most of
the time and apparently not doing any actual compilation, because it
only scrolls javac messages for the last couple of minutes.

I'm assuming it's either doing some mass dependency handling generation
(of which I don't see any obvious way to turn it off) or I'm doing
something horribly and unforgiveably wrong.  At the moment my money is
on the latter, but does anybody have a Clue they're willing to pass my
way?

-Tara

PS -- if Greg Hassan is reading this, did anybody get back to you
whether generic Ant will work using Borland's java compiler?

--
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.  I said I
didn't know"

        -Mark Twain