ant-user mailing list archives

From Joel Rees <j...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>
Subject Re: The <javadoc> task doesn't support the nested "patternset" el ement
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 01:19:09 GMT
I am by no means an expert, but, IIRC, SAX and DOM are substantially
different.

> Sure... What I was saying was that I find strange that Ant complains about a
> semantic error (<javadoc> not supporting the <patternset> element) when it's
> a syntactic error (closing tag without a opening tag), i.e. the document is
> not well formed XML.
>
> I don't know about SAX, but I do believe trying to load that XML build file
> in the DOM would have resulted in some kind of parser exception. --DD

DOM parsers suck the whole document into memory and parse it
completely (or behave as if they do), before they return to the caller.
SAX, on the other hand, parses the document sequentially, more like sed.
With DOM, your program doesn't get a chance to start looking at the
semantics if the document is well-formed, but with SAX, there may be
certain aspects of well-formedness that would not be visible before Ant
starts checking semantics. In fact, this is one of the specific cases
where you would be likely to register some semantic error before the
parser discovers that it's got a terminating tag it doesn't know what to
do with.

Incidentally, although there is no explicit DTD, the fact that Ant
detects the false nesting underscores that there is some implicit
document type defined by the program flow in Ant.

--
Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp>