ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: The <javadoc> task doesn't support the nested "patternset" el ement
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:34:14 GMT
--- Dominique Devienne <DDevienne@lgc.com> wrote:
> Actually, I believe Ronald is right:
>
> <fileset dir="${dir.src}" />
> <patternset refid="patternset.src" />
> </fileset>
>
> There's indeed nothing wrong with the first <fileset />, neither with
> the <patternset/> on line 2 above, but </fileset> on line 3 is
> incorrect (it doesn't close any opening <fileset>).
>
> My limited understanding of XML would tell me this is indeed not well
> formed XML... As to how this is not detected by Ant/SAX1, I'll leave
> that to the experts.

Well, I'm not the person to address that last bit, since I'm not even
close to an XML or SAX1 expert -- but my point was that the error message
did provide the information he needed. Here, from the original posting, is
where the problem was:
  > What is wrong with this file? According to the Ant 1.5
  > documentation, a patternset can be nested within
  > a fileset. And the javadoc task does support filesets

He didn't read the error message correctly. The message did not say that
<fileset> doesn't support the nested "patternset" element -- it said that
<javadoc> doesn't. And if he had read the message correctly, he'd have
most likely caught the mistake that was causing <patternset> to be seen as
a nested element of <javadoc> instead of as one of the <fileset> as he'd
intended, since he would have been trying to discover why it thought the
<patternset> was a nested element of <javadoc> when clearly he'd put it
under <fileset .../> -- oops, <fileset ../>, a-ha!

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)