ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Need help with javadoc task
Date Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:56:05 GMT
--- Diane Holt <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The advice on setting up <property
> environment="env"/> was very helpful,
> > although I wish I had noticed that in the manual
> myself.
>
> We're always looking for ways to improve the doc. If
> we added something to
> make this feature of <property> stand out more,
> where would you like to
> see it?

I don't know, possibly in the Using Ant section where
system properties are discussed.  This is where I was
looking.  I never really noticed before the difference
between Java System properties and environment
variables.  I never had any reason to look for them
and it just never dawned on me that your environment
variables are not in your System properties.  So I
don't know if this is really where it belongs, but I
probably would put the reference somewhere in Using
Ant.

> > Now I still can't figure out how to conditionally
> include
> > "${env.JAVA_HOME}/src" in the sourcepath for the
> javadoc statement
> > only when such a directory exists. I have tried
> using an available task
> > to determine the directory's presence, but was not
> able to use that
> > with if or unless for any relevant task or
> structure. I almost got what
> > I wanted by passing nested filesets [...]
>
> If you can use <fileset>, you can use 'if'/'unless'
> on the nested
> <include>/<exclude> elements.

I didn't try to do it this way because I was able to
do what I wanted using
<fileset dir="${env.JAVA_HOME}" >
  <include name="src/**/*.java" />
</fileset>

But that still left me with the problem of too many
args in Windows.  It works on Solaris although it
takes forever because javadoc dutifully loads every
source file, when you only really need them for
reference.  It's the difference between 30s and 7+
mins build time...

Thanks,
Matt