ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: javac task: Spaces in dir name MORE INFO
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:18:04 GMT
--- John Lindwall <JLindwall@Xifin.com> wrote:
> It does work if I say "fork="false".  I _think_ I am using jikes when I
> say fork="true" because the -debug output showed a weird -g option that
> specifies a jikes temporary file.

The -g flag has to do with compiling with debug. The jikes-* file is an
@file that holds the names of the files to compile when they're too
numerous to fit on a command line -- the fact that its name starts with
"jikes" is just historical (and should really get changed so we don't have
to explain that all the time).

> I'm very confused over why jikes would be used actually --  our
> build.compiler property is set to "modern".

You're not running 'jikes' (see above). When you set 'fork="true"', you
won't in fact be running whatever the compiler you specified for
build.compiler, because with 'fork', that gets ignored (verbose output
will say something like "Since we're forking, build.compiler setting
ignored.").

> Maybe if I could do fork="true" and use the normal JDK javac I'd be in
> good shape?

No, what you want to do is not fork, since you said that does work for the
path problem, and since you're setting build.compiler (although you don't
actually need to, if you're running JDK1.3 or 1.4).

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)