ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: property file
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 01:37:27 GMT
--- Boris Garbuzov <boris.garbuzov@marketingtips.com> wrote:
> I have some problem with ant-reading system properties on windows
> platform.
> I would like to define a set of properties available to many ant
> scripts.
> 1. If I try to run ant script with many -D parameters, it says, "The
> input line is too long. The syntax of the command is incorrect."

It's probably too long for you command buffer -- I think Win* has one
that's pretty easily exceeded. But if you really don't want to have to -D
all your properties on the command-line all the time -- that's what
properties files and the <property> task are for. Command-line defines
should really just be for things like default overrides.

> 2. When I generate the propety file with the command set >
> %global.properties% and then run ant with this file, it skips back
> slashes, so I lose all directory paths.

Java properties files require you quote backslashes (ie., double them up).

> 3. When I create the static property file, ant does not understand the
> chain property reference, only the first one.
> CVSROOT=c:/CVSROOT
> MYMAILLOOP_HOME=${CVSROOT}/MyMailloop
> CLIENT_HOME=${MYMAILLOOP_HOME}/client

Certainly should work. What happens when you echo these out? (BTW: I
believe Java properties files also want colons backslash-quoted, but I
don't see it being a problem for <property file=.../> to read the values
in okay, even without them quoted.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)