ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: proposed: ant build contest
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 17:26:42 GMT
--- David Jencks <davidjencks@directvinternet.com> wrote:
> While I really like the JBoss build system and promote its use in every
> project I come in contact with, this isn't what it does.  The main
> innovation (?) that I haven't seen elsewhere is that it divides the
> project into more or less independent modules that can be built
> individually, together with a master build file that runs all the
> module build files and collects the module output into the master
> output to assemble the finished product.

Aside from the "and collects the module output..." bit, I don't think
there's anything unique in that approach. The first Ant build process I
put together (back at 1.2) did the "independent modules...with a master
build file" thing -- and since lots of questions come through based around
things like "I have a top-level build.xml file and sub-project build.xml
files...", I suspect lots of people out there set their build up that way.

Taking a quick look through their source tree, they do look to have some
interesting tasks, though (some of which do things I'd love to see
implemented in Ant -- like the <require> task, which looks to basically be
<available> with a fail-if-not-available action).

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)