ant-user mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: testing for update on filter file
Date Mon, 01 Jul 2002 19:21:10 GMT
--- Erik Hatcher <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> It is indeed a tough issue. All it takes is one property to change for
> all dependency checking to go out the window (-Dbuild.debug=off, for
> example).
>
> But the more smarts we add, the better Ant is.

Well, yes and no. "Better" in the sense of less things for the build
writer to have to explicitly take care of themself -- but not really
better in the sense that then you have to remember which tasks check for
what, beyond the source-file -> target-file dependency checking. And that
brings me around to Dominique's reply, which I'll respond to there.

> When in doubt, run a clean build anyway!  :))

For things like nightly and release builds, of course -- but not always
practical/desirable for developer builds, which occur far more often, so
the build should really be optimized for that. There are things people
know that, if they change, they should in fact to a clean build -- but the
more of those you introduce, and that they then have to remember, the less
optimal things get.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)