ant-user mailing list archives

From "Kleinmann, Peter G" <pkl...@lehman.com>
Subject proposed: 2 contests; a weekly 'stumper' contest, and a tri-annua l tour-de-force
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2002 15:26:08 GMT

Thomas,

we may have different goals.  Your idea seems to be to create a new
entry point to ant, via a series of HOWTO-like ant ref files.  I think
this is a great idea and would help users with difficult, specific problems.

what I'm proposing is something different - an Ant tour-de-force -
Ant with all the bells and whistles applied, making use of any and
all useful ant tasks on the net (not just what is included in ant.jar and
ant-optional.jar) - and not just Ant - CruiseControl, etc.

The purpose of the tour-de-force is to show off the latest and greatest
ant tasks, the simplest and most flexible directory structure - the
state-of-the-art in Ant usage (think of the original Ant-in-Anger document
evolving in a competitive process repeated every four months).

A by-product of the contest would be a downloadable zip that gives
non-contestants the ability to benefit from the contestant's showmanship
(a hackable starting point).

I think you have an excellent idea, that might in fact benefit
from a contest of its own, an weekly Ant 'stumper' competition.
You could propose a tough problem and contestants could vie to
author the solution that would be included in the manual.

In sum I think we could have fun with 2 competitions, an Ant 'stumper'
competition, for hard problems, and an Ant tour-de-force competition,
to show off how Ant is best used in practice.