ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: how to do automated builds with email, etc.
Date Mon, 08 Jul 2002 17:46:07 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Bailey" <chris@codeintensity.com>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 10:23 AM
Subject: how to do automated builds with email, etc.

> I'd like to set up automated nightly builds with our Ant based builds.  My
> thought is to be able to put a line like the following in as a cron job:
>
>     ant nightly-build -l build.log
>
> The target itself does a get from CVS, clean, full build, and then emails
> the results, i.e. the "build.log" file.

cron itself mails its output to you, the user. so you get the mail report
for free with 'ant nightly-build'

getting cron to build properly usualy comprises of setting all the env
variables; CVS_HOME, ANT_HOME, JAVA_HOME, the paths and things too. Easiest
way to do this I've found is a shell script that sets these things. I also
do the CVS outside of ant, so that

export JAVA_HOME=/opt/java14
export ANT_HOME=~/Projects/Antbook/jakarta-ant/lib
cd ~/Projects/Antbook
cvs update -P -R -d
cd ~/Projects/Antbook/app
ant clean all

Note that I do the CVS outside ant; this lets me keep ant and the build
files under SCM and know that they get updated when the cron job runs.