ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Compile stops after first error.. how to avoid that?
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2002 16:31:41 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hertel, Oliver" <Oliver.Hertel@Dresdner-Bank.com>
To: "'Ant Users List'" <ant-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 11:16 PM
Subject: RE: Compile stops after first error.. how to avoid that?

> Hello,
>
>  Dominique Devienne wrote:
>
>  > I've never understood this notion that it's better to go on
>  > compiling with
>  > you have errors!?!?!?!? What good does that do you? If you
>  > have an error,
>  > your Java code is broken, and you can't use that project.
>
> We are developing an financial portal and already have LOTS of JSPs and
even
> more java files. There are several components in this portal, getting
> financial info, buying stock shares etc.
>
> So if we compile all classes at once with one javac task and there is an
> error in the 'financial info' part, the 'stock buying' part doesn't
compile,
> too. But they are completely independent and we want to install this build
> anyway. If the 'financial info' team messed up their code: their problem.
> They need to fix it and we do another build then.

what you need is a continuous integration and test process that sends hate
mail out the moment anybody checks code that breaks the build back in to the
system.

If you are letting teams put broken stuff into SCM, then you are never going
to get control of the situation.

> Same for some basic components all use or could use in the future (the
> technical architecture components). There are developed new parts there
and
> if the build of a new one fails, even all the old ones don't get compiled.

In such a design I'd probably split each component into their own jar, with
their own tests, subdirectory, build file &c, and have a masterbuild to run
the sub projects and make a WAR containing all the relevant jars. This will
make building and testing sub projects faster, which lets each group work on
their own problem.

> And that is not acceptable.
>
> Understand my problem now?

yup.

> And it is no solution to compile every small part in its own javac task,
> because there would be 60 or 70 of them and with a new one we had to
update
> the build.xml each time, too.

hmmm. that is a lot of little components. I wonder if you can <ant> the same
build file into every subdirectory of each sub project, so you dont need
60-70 sub build files (which would be a maintenance nightmare)