ant-user mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <>
Subject Re: Is ANT right tool?
Date Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:50:37 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Klein" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 5:39 AM
Subject: Is ANT right tool?

> I am seeking two things from this post if you would please oblige.
> 1. Is there a way within ANT to determine that a target/step has failed
and, if so, to
> conditionally proceed to other target(s)/step(s) without ANT bailing out
(i.e. "Clean Up")?
> 2. I am tasked with creating a system that not only automates the build of
a Java project, but
> also automatically configures a WebLogic Server, deploys the built Java
project to it, and runs a
> regression test on it.  Additionally, this project will need to access a
version control system
> (Harvest) to automatically check out the source code prior to the build
and check in the results
> of the regression test following its completion.  Lastly, it will also
have to automatically
> configure a Sybase database with "Golden/Test" data prior to running the
tests and restore it to
> its previous image following the test.
> I'm starting to get the idea that #2 is beyond the scope of ANT but would
appreciate feedback on
> both issues and, if possible, recommendations for other scripting /
programming environments
> better suited to my needs.

no, #2 is exactly the kind of thing you can do with ant, at least with
Anthill or cruisecontrol to run it for you.

Actually, configuring the weblogic server may be beyond it, it depends on
the configuration needed.

Look at <sql> for database stuff, httpunit for web site testing,
<serverdeploy> for deployment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message