ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Re[6]: Failed to initialise MIME mail (newbie warning)
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 06:59:09 GMT
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, <joshw@speakeasy.net> wrote:

>   C:\src\nv\main\nv\scripts\build.xml:19: IO error sending mail
>     at
>     org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.email.PlainMailer.send(PlainMailer.java
>     :124) at

This certainly means Ant doesn't get through to your mailer.

Either it isn't accepting the connection (on port 25) or some problem
occurs during the SMTP conversation - like the server not accepting
the mail as it won't relay.

It works for me (using sendmail as the accepting MTA), we know that MS
Exchange can sometimes cause problems.  This is rather hard to debug
(if the problem occurs during the SMTP conversation) - the best thing
you could do was to scatter logging messages all over the code in the
org.apache.tools.mail package.

The first thing I'd do, though was trying telnet with all the
parameters from your buildfile.  See below: All lines starting with
numbers are roughly what one would expect from a mailserver (the text
doesn't matter at all).  The lines not starting with numbers (the
first one is tzhe HELO line) are supposed to be entered by you.

,----
| prompt> telnet [mailhost attribute or localhost] 25
| Connected to FOO
| Escape character is '^]'.
| 220 FOO
| HELO [whatever your sending box calls itself]
| 250 FOO
| MAIL FROM <[email from your from attribute]>
| 250 2.1.0 <FOO>... Sender ok
| RCPT To: <[on of the emails of your tolist attribute]>
| 250 2.1.5 <FOO>... Recipient ok
| DATA
| 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
| Subject: [subject attribute]
|
| [your message goes here]
| .
| 250 2.0.0 FOO Message accepted for delivery
| quit
| 221 2.0.0 FOO closing connection
| Connection closed by foreign host.
`----