ant-user mailing list archives

From George_Schl...@ssga.com
Subject Use "depends" attribute versus "antcall" task
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:57:21 GMT
Newbie build best practices question:
I am trying to pattern our build process based on suggestions made in "Ant
in Anger", and a few other sources.

It seems like common practice to use the "depends" attribute of a target to
execute subordinate targets.  What is the benefit of this over using nested
"antcall" tasks in a target.
Arbitrary example:
<target name="all" depends="init,clean,build,deploy"/>

Wouldn't it make sense, since these tasks are all part of "all" rather than
prerequisites of "all", to include them as antcall tasks?
Since I'm new to using ant, I might just not understand the important
differences between depends and antcall.  All advice welcome!

Thanks
George